Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Celebrating our nation's birthday! Mammoth Lakes area



The generosity of those you meet along the trail is much appreciated. One of the hiker's named Pancakes, graciously invited me and Nightrider to stay with them in Mammoth Lakes. The O'dells were kind enough to house, feed and drive us around town on the chaotic 4th of July weekend. 


Legend that I had met earlier, happened to be in town and threw a wonderful pasta party. This time I had the opportunity to talk to Legend one on one and it was amazing. The talk was full of wisdom and inspiration about family, friends, the trail community and as always and left me inspired to continue my hike and live life to the fullest. A close friend of Legend's gave him a blank book for him to compile his own story. He shared two short amazing tales from what he termed his life lessons book. In essence, Legend has divided his book into 10 categories of life lessons and has stories from people that he has met along the way that fit into the categories. The interesting part is most everyone can fall into at least a story at any given time. It becomes a madlib of sorts that one could take a name out and put yours in and it would give a pretty accurate description of yourself, your circumstances and the life lesson Legend learned from you. 



Legend got a hold of one of my resupply packages and was awed by the amount prep and organization my mother and father put into packaging and making the meals. This sparked a conversation about loved ones and a life lesson for legend to have your priorities aligned to take care of your family friends and community first before the trail. 


I'm happy I approached the trail the way I have, the planning and hours of research were arduous at times, but the majority was fun and a bonding experience between me and my family. In a way it gave my parents the ability to be apart of the best adventure of my life thus far, and and in addition to satellite gps tracking makes them feel part of the journey. 

The Sierras are coming to an end, and the mosquitos are out in full force. Soon this dream I have been walking through in the Sierras will bring a different ecosystem to explore and areas to learn about. 

Wish me swift legs, a platform to make a difference, and a continued adaption to this lifestyle and my ability to learn more about myself and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment