Thursday, July 21, 2016

Sonora Pass, saying hello to mile 1000!


 The group has hit some bitter sweet landmarks in the last couple days in Sonora pass, the 1000 mile landmark and the end of the High Sierras. Any serious hiker has to make at least a week long trip along one of the many Sierra trail routes. It truly is the most amazingly beautiful  places I have ever been with all the pictures and video I have collected not giving it any justice. 

The group I am traveling with has been called "the Riff Raff" and we got into Northern Kennedy Meadows and immediately got drawn in by the great hospitality and service at the restaurant and store. It was great to relax with my trail family and chill out on the porch all day with a full stomach, clean clothes, and hang out with a group of friendly dogs all day. 

Another huge land mark between me and Nightrider was our 2 month trailaversory. We celebrated like any thru hiker would with some  ice cream sandwiches, a delicious San Francisco treat consisting of two oatmeal cookies wedged with ice cream and dipped in chocolate.  A new temporary member of the group has tagged along named Wing it. She is a triple crowner on her third attempt of the PCT. For those of you that might not know it, the triple crown of thru hikes consist of the Appalachian Trail, the Continental Divide Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) that I am hiking. 

Wing it has been great to have around to answer many questions that the group or have had and has gained quite a bit of celebrity status by being one of around 200 people who have completed all three major thru hikes in America. To put the accomplishment in perspective more people have been in space than completed the triple crown, with only two ever completing all three within the same calendar year. 

Another milestone is that we were able to send home or get rid of our bear canisters! The canister is designed of course to keep smells and foods away from the bears, but they are heavy and can be difficult to get in your pack. I sent home some pretty smelly gear that I won't need in my bear canister!

Heading out today I will have the lightest pack I have carried the whole trail. I estimate my pack now to be under 25 lbs total, over 20 lbs less than what I started with at campo. You find out that you can do without a whole lot more than you think when you first start. If I could give any advice, it would be to be as light as possible.  That helps to keep you healthy enough to make it 1,000 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail.  Time to celebrate!  Maybe I will go for a hike? 
We have been lucky to have great weather for many days.

The beauty of the area is unparalleled. 





No comments:

Post a Comment