Saturday, July 16, 2016

Fishing, Swimming, and Bowling.

Although you are just reading this post, it may have occurred as much as two weeks ago. I am now in the part of the trail that has very little cell service. When I do get the chance to come off the trail, I upload the blogs that I have written along with the pictures and video that I took. Since I am also applying to medical school, I also have to check to make sure that any secondary application essays are written before I finalize my thoughts and upload to the blog.

Right now there are several posts waiting to be finalized so for the next several days you should be getting a flurry of updates. Thank you for reading along and following my journey.  If you haven't yet contributed to the fundraiser and would like to do so, here is a link to the gofundme page PCT with Purpose.  All the funds that are raised during my hike are going to families like ours that are battling colorectal cancer. We were so fortunate that my dad had medical insurance and also had disability insurance through his employer. He is not able to work now and our family would have been destitute because of the overwhelming expense of keeping the cancer at bay or curing you from the disease entails. Your help will support research and provide assistance.  Thanks to all of you that have contributed!  

I know my family worries about me from time to time when they are unable to communicate with me for days, but I feel very safe on the PCT. The path is well marked and there are many other hikers on the trail that are willing to help you in the event of injury or illness. That is not to say that there are not dangers out here. Much of the terrain and summits are difficult and if you attempt to be a thru hiker you will want  to make sure you are prepared for the journey. I have found that being a hiker and a thru hiker are completely different. The gear that you take to be comfortable on a short or even a two week hike are different than when you are undergoing a journey that is 5-6 months in length. You find yourself getting rid of every little bit of clothing, tools, or items that you find unnecessary for daily trail life. Why carry something that you "might" need. Instead your thoughts are I will carry only what I MUST. If it is superfluous it gets deposited in the next hiker box, donated to a fellow hiker, or sent home to the family.  

This journey continues to amaze me. Beyond every peak or around every grove of trees, there are things to see, mountains to summit, and beautiful vistas to take in. When John Muir brought naturalists and presidents to this place, I understand why they were so determined afterwards to try and preserve our country's nature and wildlife that I am privileged to to be experiencing. If you get the chance to go to Yosemite, the Sierras, or any of our nationals parks you must. Living in Tennessee and Ohio, I had never gotten the chance to really see the beauty that is in this part of the United States. 

The High Sierra mountain range leaves one to question if they are really awake or dreaming because of the amount of overwhelming beautiful and epic size of all the mountains, lakes, streams and flowers. Our day at Rae Lakes was no exception. After visiting, I realize why it is one of the most popular hikes in Sequoia and Kings Canyon. If you don’t have a thru hike pass it is difficult to get the wilderness permit you need to experience the stunning scenery and series of lakes in the area. The area includes Paradise Valley, Rae Lakes, Charlotte Lake, Bullfrog Lake and Kearsarge Lakes. Bears have been active along the trail and this is part of the area where we are required to carry a heavy bear canister. We had heard some hikers had left garbage in their backpack and overnight the bears found their way into their packs. The Sequoia and Kings Canyon lakes area is one of the most photographed in the park. I don’t think you could take a bad picture in this place as around every corner you emerge to find a beautiful view that you just have to stop and marvel at its pristine water, the blue sky or the mountains in the backdrop.

The flowers along the trail are just as beautiful as the mountains, lakes and streams.



My group was fresh off of an amazing zero day at Bishop that included a relaxing stay at the Hostel California, bowling, and my first late night Denny's experience. We decided to have our first home cooked meal together as a group. Liam, Turtle and I prepared a bruschetta, watermelon, and avocado basil pesto pasta dish for the masses, Whoever wandered by was able to dine with us. Liam decided to fish for dinner. On my way down to the lake I boasted about swimming out to the most central island on Rae lakes, but my resolve wavered once I saw a Danish swimmer, Stefan, take a plunge and immediately resurface and scamper back to shore as fast as possible due to the frigid temperature. Determined to keep to my word and against overwhelming odds, I made the 1/2 round trip to the island and back. After hours of hanging out on the beautiful shore we headed to camp where we could cook the fish Liam had caught for the day. Today was a good day.
Liam catching our dinner.




No comments:

Post a Comment