Thursday, May 26, 2016

Am I becoming hiker trash?

Kathy & Tracy Jackson
 I met some great new friends! The Jackson's were so nice and welcoming it felt like home. Not only did they pick me up, but they also picked up Liam and Alex that have been hiking with me. I need to also thank them for being patient on when we would be in the area. They picked us up at the Silverwood Lake area close to the Cajon Pass I-15 intersection.  

How can you say thank you to someone that agrees to pick up 3 complete strangers? We enjoyed a night of swapping stories with the family while they fed and took care of us the entire night.  We had a pulled pork dinner, cold drinks, laundry, great conversation, a trip to REI, a pool to enjoy and even stayed up past hiker bedtime playing a game of Catan. It was as though I was back at home in Mason Ohio with my good friends - the Matt's. 

The next morning, Kathy dropped us off at the Silverwood Lake picnic tables at 7am.  With a good night's rest, Liam, Alex and I were fresh for an amazing canyon hike. Along the hike that morning, the conversation turned to the talk of McFlurry's and we ended up at the Golden Arches at Cajon Pass. 


For those of you that don't know, the long distance hiking community affectionately calls a person  "hiker trash" if they have fully accepted the fact that they sink beneath their normal self to do something they would never do in real life while they are out on the trail. Your version of hiker trash could be picking up a dirty used hat out of the hiker box and wear it.  It could mean not bathing for a couple of weeks or washing your dirty socks in a gas station bathroom. The longer you are on the trail, the more you evolve into hiker trash.  Becoming hiker trash could mean getting a huge carton of ice cream and downing it in the parking lot. In my case, I made it into a roadside ditch with a McFlurry and large fries from McDonalds to take a nap underneath the shade of a telephone pole. Would you call that embracing my hiker trash?  


The scenery continues to be beautiful. We are finally getting our trail legs underneath us and feeling comfortable with the routineTomorrow we plan a 17 mile hike and from there we will start to increase our mileage to more 20 plus miles each day. 

At the top of the trail area.

As you read this, I will have hiked over 350 miles.  A lot of planning, research, map reading, emailing others, and so many things went into this trip. I had some hiking experience before but this is the first time I have LIVED it. You have to think of it from that perspective. You are non-stop living the trail, immersed in nature and doing it your way. I encourage you to consider hiking yourself. It doesn't have to be a thru hike.  Start small and work your way up. If I can, I might make a few videos on how to plan, pack, and live your own hike. 


Dad before chemo started.
My dad is on my mind daily. Not only did he inspire me to go on a hike for Colon Cancer, the way he has faced cancer has been incredible. He just finished Treatment #5 and has 7 more to go in this treatment cycle. I was able to text him today and this week was a tough one. His faith is even stronger now than before he was diagnosed. The bible verse that I chose as the mission statement for PCT with Purpose has been my favorite for a long time and it is a good one for the trials we face in life.  We don't know the outcome, but we know that trials can make you a better person. My father has said to me that he is a much better person than he was before his diagnosis. He is closer to God than ever before. He is learning to depend on Him for everything. 

My mom is trying to keep the Colon Cancer alliance support group up to speed on my hike and some are following along on the blog. Glad to hear it!  Keep up your fight!  

If you would like to help support research for colon cancer please consider donating to PCT with Purpose.  I have partnered with the Colon Cancer Alliance and they are doing great things for families with cancer.  Here is the link:  gofund.me/PCTWithPurpose

  James 1 2:4  Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you encounter trials of many kinds, because you know the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Allow perseverance to  finish its work so that you may be complete and not lacking anything.  

Drop off point.

No comments:

Post a Comment