Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Trail Magic, I can see for Miles - Week of May 23


 


Getting to the top of any mountain on the PCT gives you a spectacular view of our country.


 Exhausted after a hard day's climb, I marveled at the view of the mountain peaks the other hikers and I had already conquered and looked at the ones yet to summit before crossing part of the Mojave Desert.  I found some shade within the root system of the Wally Waldron tree.  It is estimated that the tree is 1500 years old and is named after some guy nicknamed Wally that was an avid Boy Scout.


The tree is a limber pine tree and is sitting on the peak of an area just below the summit of 9399 ft. Mt. Baden-Powell. In the pictures you can see how it sits atop the area, and is gnarled and offers shade to dirty, dusty hikers.
Shade of the Wally Waldon Tree


The next day was a magical day filled with unexpected surprises. A south bound section hiker named Goal Tech gave me a bag of chips as he does every northbound thru hiker that he encounters. Shortly after that I found a water cache and cupcakes off the trail. Trail MAGIC!

 As I may have mentioned earlier, Trail Magic is any kindness, act of generosity, food, drink or something that is left for thru hikers to discover.  This week I hit the trail magic jackpot. Finding a water cache, cupcakes and chips was just what I needed to lift my spirits as Alex, Liam and I were hiking a 6,000 ft elevation gain.  Hiking up Mount Baden Powell was no joke.  I still have another 5 miles to go to make it the 20 mile day that I had planned. The 3 of us may push past the next campground because we have heard there has been bear activity.  We plan on hitting 20s from here on out since we feel like we have gotten our trail legs under us.  We have 3.5 days to our next resupply in Agua Dulce and Hiker Heaven!  This picture is from the PCT website and shows the Mount Baden-Powell area.
What a few weeks on the trail does to you!
Hiker Southbound. 
Chillin on the Trail
"The Legend" that gave me a lift and his van "Gypsy"  with his canpakes.  

From PCT website - Mount Baden-Powell



Spectacular Views



No comments:

Post a Comment