Wednesday, June 29, 2016

The Sierras - Glissading down 200 ft.

With almost 800 miles underneath our belts Liam, Alex (9 to 5), and I have entered into the Sierras and they are as epic as I thought they would be and more. Every pass, summit, lake and glissade is more awe inspiring than the last. To try and capture such an amazing place into words and images is not possible.










"The only way to know the pine is to go to the pine", one must pick up their pack and follow their call into such a magical place. Doing this trail has made me appreciate small accomplishments and feats to a much greater degree. The simple act of making a good choice, or pushing your comfort zone is exponentially more rewarding and manifests itself in so many ways out here. 

Most recently, the decisions to summit my first 14,000+ foot mountain- Mount Whitney, the highest point in the lower 48, and to press through Forester Pass around dusk, the highest point and most beautiful place I have been on trail to this point, have ended up being two of my most favorite days on trail, not only for the views and feats we accomplished, but for the fact we made the decision to follow our gut which lead to unique experiences of some of the most beautiful sections of the trail. 
Alex & Liam 

At times I have lost my patience with gear and communication issues, but overall I can sense a change in my disposition to one of even more composure and resourcefulness to deal with everyday challenges we face on trail that we never deal with in our luxurious norms in our everyday life. 

Going through the desert gave me a whole new appreciation of water. The idea that you can have water any time you want it, just by going to your kitchen sink or to a water hose or fountain, is something that I will never look at the same.  How blessed we are to have an abundant supply of drinking water that is readily accessible is a fact that I won't lose sight of in the future.

Going on this hike has made me reflect on how the early settlers of our country must have felt when they saw the vast beauty and resources that we have in our country. I feel so connected to the land as I walk the same routes of the pioneers, settlers and naturalists that came before me.  I feel much more capable to deal with whatever comes my way than I initially felt on this journey. 

The PCT desert section taught me that this journey is much more than just a physical journey.  It is psychologically, physically and spiritually taxing. One does not have to go through the journey alone, however, through the desert I was able to build a bond with other north bound hikers who have toughed it out along with me and expect to hike the trail from terminus to terminus.  The trail angels I have encountered have enrichened the journey and I admire them for their support of the hikers.  Thanks for you do!

Receiving Trail Magic from the legendary Yogi.


The surreal majesty of the high Sierras was like someone meeting you with an ice pack and a cold drink when you were thirsty. I am trying to savor every sweet moment in this unbelievable place while still covering significant ground. Every day, my eyes are able to rest upon something beautiful and being able to experience it in a simplistic lifestyle is addictive. Each day brings a new challenge and the promise of something new to conquer. 

That sudden hailstorm that I experienced brought snow to the area I am in now making the journey over the passes difficult at times. Our plan is to try and conquer them in the early morning hours before the snow melts and we find ourselves postholing into the surface.


I hope you can tell by the pictures and video that I am sending this week that the John Muir Trail part of this journey is something that every human should experience.  Muir once said. "Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul alike."  I am finding a bounty of blessings in this part of the trail. So extraordinary is what is around me that I am finding rest for my soul and peace in this environment.




The link to this video will show you what glissading is about.

Sliding down the mountain.


No comments:

Post a Comment