Sunday, August 28, 2016

Open note to dad from Zach - Last day of treatment!!!

The day before I left for the Pacific Crest Trail

Tomorrow is a big day in my family's, and in particular my father's life. After battling cancer unwaveringly off and on for the last 4 years my father underwent his last chemotherapy treatment this Tuesday and will be off his chemotherapy administered via his port tomorrow. I dearly hope my dad's faith, perseverance and “stick to it by all means” attitude has paid off and this will be the last treatment he will have to undergo.
The day my dad told us about the cancer started out a happy one. He found out the day before Thanksgiving 2013.
My grandfather would pass in April 2014, then my grandmother September 2015.

Dad gave us the news at the foot of the crosses
at Bellevue Baptist Church.
Throughout my journey along the PCT my father constantly reminds me of how proud he is of me and how glad he is to call me his father and brother in Christ. However, it is me that is and should be much prouder of him. Seeing my father face cancer not as a burden but as an opportunity to grow in all areas of his life is truly an inspiration. In the midst of turmoil, I have seen a once largely reserved man turn into one who feverishly lives his life to the fullest and is driven to leave a lasting legacy of wisdom with his loved ones. He is truly trying to be the best husband, grandfather, father-in-law, son, brother, and man-of-faith he can be. The most inspirational thing of all however, is that my father not only fights this disease the "Wills way" which he says is to Go big or go home, but thanks God that he got the disease in the first place. He says that because of it he has come closer to God than he has ever been, and I can attest that I have never remembered a time in my life where his faith has been stronger.

In the middle of treatment the first time, he took
a chemo break so he could walked my
sister down the aisle.

I don't say this nearly enough but I am proud of you Dad and your ability to face these last few years with such vigor. Because of your faith, I have not feared losing you and your example allowed me get through my own personal trials much easier. I know that no matter what lays ahead that you have lived life to the fullest with little to no regrets. I can assure you have left a great legacy behind you. Your life and approach to fighting cancer has inspired all of those you love and hundreds more through PCT With Purpose, The Colon Cancer Alliance support groups, your men's group and church body. I look forward to finishing up the trail and hiking the best parts again with you and mom some day soon. I love you and couldn't ask for a better father and mentor. See you in Canada!!
Dr. Fresh

If you would like to donate to PCT with Purpose - Hike for Colon Cancer, please go to the link.  Right now all donations are being doubled through a grant with the Salah Foundation.  All money goes to research via the Colon Cancer Alliance. PCTWithPurpose


Sitting on the mountaintop toward the middle of the PCT



Early in the journey.



Less than 600 miles to go!  See you in Manning Park Dad!


Less than 600 miles to go!  See you in Manning Park Dad!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment