Sunday, August 14, 2016

S. Lake Tahoe, July 31-- Aug 1 - Halfway!!!!!



The last couple of weeks have been hectic due to a bombardment of secondary applications for medical school. After leaving South Lake Tahoe, we left the cool mountain peaks and encountered a massive heat wave. The change in temperature we found in northern California was dramatic. It consistently was in 90s and even surpassed 100. Along the way we have been reunited with Liam and Pancakes.  We lost both Chef and Special Ops due to injury, but they hitched up the trail to try to heal. Escaping the heat and the bugs became our mantra.






















We met new characters out on the trail, one was named Master G. We met Master G close to the Peter Grubb hut, one of the few shelters along the trail.  It's main function in the past has been a ski lodge for sierra club skiers in the winter. Snow would pile up so high that the second floor had a "front door" to use as the main door for a good part of the year.




The further I get up the trail the more I love this lifestyle and don't want it to end. It's great to be in a community and a part of the "grind" again. The trail has slowly become more about the people you meet and the time you spend together than the nature and the miles. As Legend says "it's important to remember to keep your priorities, family, friends, and community before the trail." I was able to live out these words along this last stretch when I ran into a group of kids with their two leaders outside of Echo Lake. The group was on a week long backcountry trip. We stopped and they asked questions about our trip.  Even though the ages spanned from 9-14 they asked the best questions about the trail yet! I was surprised by their intense love for nature, outdoors and learning about the PCT.  

The longer we are on the trail, it seems the wildlife has been more present and also bolder. I finally had my first bear sighting. Unfortunately, I really don't have much to report. The bear was just outside of Drakesbad Guest Ranch and I am thankful he was not very interested in our group. We also got the rare chance to see three stags in the same area.




Now to the annoying animals. The most dangerous animals for our health and packs have not been bears, or mountain lions, but deer and chipmunks. Three nights now we have been stalked by deer, desperate for the salt on our pole straps and socks. The chipmunks not only will chew through bags for your morning snacks, but also bizarrely carry the Bubonic plague that can be transmitted via fleas. Most everyone has something with a hole it in or completely gone because either a deer or chipmunk got it while they slept.


Huge crowd in Belden.
We were getting tired as we approached Belden, which was a small town along the trail. Normally a town of about only 50 people, there was a music festival going on when we got there and the population swelled to over 4000!  We were not accustomed to being around many people at all and in the words of the Grinch they were all "Noise, Noise, NOISE".  



Pancakes enjoying his pancakes
During our two days there we felt like there was only a two hour break in the music. As one that practices "hiker bedtime" my body, ears, and mind was not used to 24/7 music or staying up all night. (Hiker bedtime is around 8:30pm!)

Somehow during the festival, we found our way to a bingo hall. This wasn't your grandmother's bingo however, it was more of a Vegas circus style act. The stage included 5 disco inspired gogo dancers, an acrobat, and two MCs that got the crowd pumped to to win jars of Nutella. Of all the things I expected before trail,  I never thought one of my most fond memories would be Liam winning bingo at a music festival in Belden! 


Dad sent some cigars, which Liam enjoyed.
Closing in on the halfway point  of the trail, we crawled out the next morning on little sleep for a massive climb. We were fried from the cumulative wear on our bodies and the lack of sleep. It was rough. Exhausted and feeling bad, we made it to the mile marker.  I had a package from my dad to open at that particular moment. He specifically had written me a note to wait until them. His "trail magic" was just the thing I needed to change my demeanor. Not only did dad include something for me and the crew, he had also sent some words of encouragement. His words gave me renewed strength and gave me the energy I needed for the rest of the day.  Thanks Dad!
Halfway!



I got a satellite text from my family, that I had received the long awaited approval of both my AMCAS and AACOMAS medical school applications. With the joy also came an onslaught of eight secondary applications.  Overwhelmed by the amount of work I needed to do on my secondary essays, the group graciously dropped into Burney so that I could get to work.  After hiking a 33 mile waterless stretch in over 100 degree heat, we were happy to find air conditioning, something cool to drink,  and everyone's favorite: pizza.

The beauty of the area continues to astound me. No matter how much I fight it, every great journey must come to an end. All we can do is enjoy the time we have been given and never take any moment we have for granted.  I am planning to enjoy every mile I have left.  I wanted to leave you with a few pictures from this part of the trip.  The next post will be about the trip up to Mt. Shasta.









No comments:

Post a Comment